Next was installing the inlet rockers. Oil is injected into the rocker shaft through a hole in the rocker shaft pedestal. I was surprised to see how rough the mating surface is that is supposed to seal against the head, so I used a smear of 515 to ensure that more of the limited volume of oil that can squeeze through the flow limiting hole in the head banjo bolt actually reaches the rockers. I guess it can't have been all that bad as there was no discernible play in the inlet rockers, unlike the exhaust.
Smear of 515.
Trace of moly grease.
Assembly lube (both ends of the pushrods).
It was interesting that pushrods to cylinders 1 and 2 would not go through the passages in the head once the head was placed on the block, I think the head gasket was holding them up. So I had to loosen off the head bolts and lift the head a fraction to get them through. Other than that, getting the head on and torquing it down was pretty straightforwards. I even remembered the water pump O-ring and the generator mount this time.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade David but why didn't you have modern hat seals fitted to the tops of the valve guides when the head was at the machine shop. I'd be very careful about compromising the collets ability to lock onto the grooves on the valve stem for obvious reasons.
Why not top hat seals? I did think about it, but came to the conclusion that turning down the top of the valve guides to take the seals would leave insufficient metal at the top of the guide as the O-ring slot is only a few mm down from the top.
Also, even with worn guides, damaged O-rings and a missing O-ring, there really was no discernible blue smoke from the exhaust.
My refurbished engine is still burning more oil than I would like however I have done less than 500 miles so hoping that my rings are still bedding in and the oil isn't leaking down the guides. When I tidied up the head I fitted modern valve seals. These are viton with three lips as opposed to a single one if the original o ring is fitted, even if viton is used rather than the original nitrile rubber. You are right David that the o ring grooves outer diameter is close to the diameter required to fit the hat seals. Thing is though, I felt I needed to lose a bit of height from the guides anyway so there was sufficient clearance between the collets and the top of the seals. The overall height of the guides with the new seals fitted is almost the same as the original guides if the original guides are machined to remove the groove.
One other potential advantage is the seals could be replaced without removing the head using rope or compressed air.
Sorry, I haven't got a photo of the seals on the guides but the actual loss of bearing length is less than 2mm, probably more like 1.