Has anyone been able to source the little ball joints on the linkage?. Apparently Wadhams dont do them< I;m sure Ive seen them on something else so possibly they are not unique to the P5b. One of mine is rather worn,I have heard of packing them with resin/harderner (epoxy or similar) but I'd rather not go down that route.
I've not seen them new. Some are joined to the rods, with an adjustable one screwed on the other end. Having the correct rubbers on them minimises any play. The only other cars I've seen them on are the P6/P6B.
Post by richardlamsdale on May 4, 2018 19:17:04 GMT
There are some NOS ones currently on ebay, but they aren't cheap. I may need to fix mine, but was thinking of using generic ones. If you search ebay for something like 'linkage ball joint' you can get them for all different rod sizes (but mostly metric). I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work?
The Website of the Rover P5 and Rover P5B: www.roverp5.com
Further to this,I took the tunnel off. I found the nylon bush on the gear lever had split. I was told by an 'expert' that these are no longer available and stupidly I didnt bother to check and spent hours repairing and making a proper bearing for the pin. I found a rubber had disintegrated on one of the nylon pivots which was covered in rust and very stiff to turn. I pulled the lot off and set the rod lengths as per info on here (not the WSM). I replaced the rubber bushes on three of the joints with some rubbers I had in the shed. I haven't a clue what they are off,they could be anything from the rubbers of my grandmas walking frame or bits from a land rover. The lever now feels loads better,I have to finish putting it all back together,I might buy one of the proper spherical bushes nut I'm curiou to see how my mod works first.
Thanks Harvey,I didn't realise there are two types. I'm not even sure what type I have,originally it had brushes fitted but they looked like they had been added later they didn't fit correctly and were pretty mangled,I made a stainless sleeve and fitted it which works quite well. At some point I have to have a look at the inhibitor switch,it doesn't work in park and it looks like the terminals are loose in the switch housing. It looks a pain to get to,I've done my back in so it will have to wait for a bit.